Thread: Licensed Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-13, 16:00   Link #150
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by warainagara View Post
If you wanna talk about Kaishaku, the mangaka of Kyoshiro and KnM,
They are one of the mangakas who preserves a neutral position in most of their titles even though their mangas are serialized in shounen or seinen mags.
That's why KnM has typical a shoujou romance meme and yaoi tint and a group of bishounen.
That's why Kyoshiro features a bunch of bishounen, a bro-con male protagonist, a heroine with loose Cinderella complex, and her narrative from a typical shoujo viewpoint.
If any of you don't like its shojo-ishness, I'm sorry tha't not your cup of tea.
You had better find more conservative shounen or seinen shows with unattractive male protagonists in any girl's opinion and hot anime girls armed with fanservice spirit.
You're absolutely right about one thing. People can enjoy whatever title they want inspite of the label the manga magazine receives. But you have to know that the industry labels different titles with different labels with good reasons. One of them: There are so many titles available on the japanese paper publishing market that there is a need to target titles to readers systematically, unless their consumer base, as big as it is, would just be confused. They wouldn't know what to buy. That's why there are shounen, shoujo, josei, seinen etc. magazines so that readers can check out a magazine that covers an appropriate target audience. Young men will more likely find something interesting to read in a seinen magazine than in a josei magazine. This doesn't mean no men are willing to enjoy Nodame Cantabile, but the manga had to be good enough to spread over another audience.

And I hope you're not missing a valuable point here: manga serialized in seinen magazines will always be called seinen manga, and that's because the author started out with elements that would be more comfortable to young men. Kaishaku obviously serialized Kannazuki no Miko and Kyoushirou to Towa no Sora in male oriented magazines because... well, it's pretty obvious to me at least. First and foremost reason: lesbians are still in a minority, and those kind of relationships are mostly fantasized by men. Kannazuki no Miko's prevailing theme was a relationship between two women that was idealized for a man's vision of them. There were bishounen in KnM but that doesn't mean it had BL/shoujo themes/elements. It just had bishounen.

Don't get me wrong; I love that both men and women can enjoy this show, because it has both moe and bishounen. I believe these kinds of shows are winners, still I'm not going to get out of my way and proclaim it as a shoujo show just because I'm a rabid BL fangirl who sees things that aren't there. (And I'm not.)
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote