View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 10:29   Link #204
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Those feelings that he kept bottled up were supposed to be for Tokiomi and Zouken. If he had unleashed it on them like he actually wanted to then we'd be calling him a hero...
That's the thing. Tokiomi doesn't deserve to be put on the same pedestal as Zouken, but Kariya doesn't care about that since it makes his hatred and resentment for Tokiomi more "acceptable". Also, if his intentions were truly heroic then he wouldn't have killed Aoi in his despair. If we're talking heroic, Kiritsugu is probably the only master that comes close to it.

But don't get me wrong, his success or failure in saving Sakura is irrelevant to what I'm trying to say. It's his insistence on denial that bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
You might be misunderstanding a good part of Kariya's character, although i can't blame you seeing as very important points are missing from the Tokiomi/Aoi/Kariya relationship from the anime. It's really a great conflict.
Be that as it may, can you really say that Kariya harbored no resentment towards Tokiomi for that fact that Aoi loved Tokiomi more than himself? And can you really say that his love for her was truly selfless, as opposed to possessive?

It's one thing to hold off a relationship for personal reasons, but it's another thing to find out that your love will never be returned no matter what you do.

Even if you say that he made a lot of sacrifices for the protection of Aoi, Rin, and Sakura, isn't his good will just another extension of his unrequited love for Aoi? Assuming that, I think this latest episode made the true nature of that love all too clear.