View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 10:46   Link #205
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
That's the thing. Tokiomi doesn't deserve to be put on the same pedestal as Zouken, but Kariya doesn't care about that since it makes his hatred and resentment for Tokiomi more "acceptable". Also, if his intentions were truly heroic then he wouldn't have killed Aoi in his despair. If we're talking heroic, Kiritsugu is probably the only master that comes close to it.

But don't get me wrong, his success or failure in saving Sakura is irrelevant to what I'm trying to say. It's his insistence on denial that bothers me.
It's difficult to say whether or not Tokiomi deserves to be put on the same pedestal since we don't know how Tokiomi would've acted if he knew what giving Sakura to Zouken really meant, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he acted the same way anyway (In which case he'd be as bad as Kiritsugu's father).

If we're talking ultimate and true altruism then Kariya definitely isn't that since he didn't prepare to be hated for his actions. But that's impossible and completely unreasonable for someone like him to prepare for so at most he simply prepared to not be acknowledged at all and die knowing that he did the right thing and that's the important point. The only reason he was able to keep his sanity was because he believed he was doing the right thing. But being told that you're actually a selfish person (and by the person you loved) is pretty much going to shatter the last thing you had that was keeping you sane. The fact that he killed Aoi isn't an indication of his true feelings. It was an indication of how little support his true feelings had.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote