View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 04:36   Link #57
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Uh, Ghibli doesn't sell moe. Their audience is the general public, the family-friendly general public. The moe phenomenon has nothing to do with it. Miyazaki even looks down on it, inferring from his general distaste of the overall anime industry.

If anything, barring the question of succession which was present for more than a decade already, Ghibli is doing fine. Each new Ghibli film still dominate box offices in Japan at release, and although people admit they don't quite hit the epic notes they did with Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away. So long as they look, sound, and feel as good as they do, hitting all the right notes of nostalgia and yearning for rural nature among the Japanese public...

As for their recent efforts, I liked Arrietty, even if not as much as I loved Spirited Away. It was directed by a young director, too, although still scripted by Miyazaki.

_________

And just FYI for people who don't pay much attention to dates: The thread is necro'd by Kudryavka, three posts above me. Nothing wrong with that, but people should know and don't respond to a conversation that ended eons ago when the sun was young and the world was green.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote