View Single Post
Old 2008-03-04, 01:07   Link #50
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklord_bg View Post
Well, Sunrise is a BIG studio. As such, they always work on many projects, so it's natural that some of them turn out bad. This is true for any studio by the way, but is less apparent for smaller studios because...smaller studios create fewer shows and as a result - fewer bad shows. Besides, the Gundam franchise is pretty much legendary - it's like Star Wars and the James Bond movies. I don't see why they should stop it.
I didn't say they should stop. I'm just saying they've dragged it through the dirt recently... a bit like how George Lucas has dragged Star Wars through the dirt. (Although word on the street is that Gundam 00 isn't all too bad all of a sudden... sorry Gundam fanboys, I'm conveniently ignoring it and Turn A for the sake of my argument).

Yes, Sunrise is big. That's not what I said. I said that if you conveniently ignore Gundam, their track record is good. Most studios of that size have a certain ratio of good and crap, but Sunrise has tended to be on the positive side of that ratio in the last few years if you conveniently ignore their cash cows. I agree with those that say a lot of the flack Sunrise has received from certain groups of fanboys is unfair, but when Sunrise is praised, it's seemingly for the wrong reasons. It's a bit disappointing that most of their best titles seem to be the ones that no one bothers to check out. Like Planetes and Zegapain and such. And even Idolm@ster Xenoglossia, which is so underrated it hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Tell me something I don't know. Also I thought "Slice of Life" were now those series like Minami-Ke where the focus is on majority female casts engaging in antics. Whatever happened to those character driven dramas I love like Only Yesterday or My Neighbours The Yamada's? The other "Slice of Life".
They're around, just as 4Tran says. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled for them. Not that I'd consider Mokke a great example of what the genre has to offer.

...Didn't we have this discussion in the slice-of-life thread?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm not sure where this discussion is going, but I'm with other genres making a specific genre less prevalent, which is why there's a mecha anime among my top ten.

Anyhow, I'm glad to not participate in the bulk of this discussion.
You're missing out, this has been a pretty interesting discussion.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote