Old 2013-07-12, 10:55   Link #732
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And I agree with Solace
I'm on fire.

Quote:
on Majestic Prince's combat scenes. They are truly fantastic. Whatever weaknesses the show may have on the characterization end of things, it more than makes up for it with some absolutely glorious mecha battles. Izuru vs. Jiart in this episode was truly a thing of beauty. I definitely look forward to their next battle.
I find the characterization refreshing. It's silly, but there's an endearing charm to it. The characters all have little quirks and stuff that seem cliche but help to highlight scenes and even running gags, like the ulcer joke being used by anyone other than Asagi. I really enjoy the show taking the time to weave the cast together, because it makes them more memorable and less like a piece of the set. It's not perfect, some characters are still pretty shallow, but it's handled pretty well.

The fanservice isn't pushing the envelope either. The worst offense is Irie's ridiculous breasts, but it's more like they're just...present. When I think of other mech anime recently, and anime in general, Majestic Prince comes off as relatively "clean" and far less exploitative of sex and violence, and in a way that's kind of nice. Frankly, the show doesn't need it, and in my opinion the lack of those things has not only enhanced my enjoyment of the show, it feels like the show is liberated by not relying on those elements to grab the audience.

When I watch something like Valvrave, I just feel like the writers are grabbing for shock value and outrageous stuff to pull the audience in, and it works, obviously. And there's an audience for it, too, but I feel it's become a bit too dominant lately in anime. But I feel there's a spot for stuff like Majestic Prince as well, and I'm thankful stuff like this is still made.