View Single Post
Old 2011-12-04, 13:21   Link #793
broken270
Defying gravity

Saimoe can be easily simplified to tactical voting, revenge voting, and series voting. There seems to be little care in terms of individual character voting more so than getting a certain series represented in the top 8. Not saying that everyone does that, but a good majority of them do who are/are not here. Another flaw is random seeds. They throw in great matches and close matches in the first few rounds; however, as Saimoe progresses, the lack of interesting matches, as possibly interest in general, dwindles as matches seem more and explicit. To make Saimoe somewhat an ideal tournament, it should have some form of a seeding system arranged for their contestants. Starting with a bang is important, but ending it with greater excitement is more so important.

Bestmoe...I truly do not know exactly what happened to it. It seemed to be doing very well up until 2008. By 2009, vote count was sliced more than 70% and has gotten worse to the point that this year had to be the worst for a majority of both site masters and voters. There seems to be some form of seeding, if any. Definitely multi-votes would be one of the other killers as well. To make Bestmoe ideal, find out what made it so great in the past and apply it here even with the "change" that happened within the gap of 2008-2009. Also, check for miltivotes before showing the results. I believe this is the major flaw and the biggest mess this year. Either search for it as the match progresses like Saimoe or show the results after spending within a day's time viewing it and posting it out officially like ISML.

ISML went quantity over quality. The ideal AnimeSuki tournament went beyond that to favor everyone who is willing to spend under five minutes of their time seeing this, placing a vote, and leave. The main problem with ISML is the voters themselves. I agree with there is a decent chuck of voters out there who have only watched a limited amount of anime watch and will vote based on series that they know and/or picture voting as the case may be. Then again, you cannot just make a poll asking people how many series you have watched and banned those who do not meet a set requirement. That would act something similar to what Saimoe has done so far. Predictably is figured out sometime after Topaz when people start to figure most to all of the contestants relative strength from a short sample. Length seems to be another issue; it may be too long for it's own good. I can tlak about new characters for another paragraph. To make ISML somewhat ideal, the only thing I can think of is shrinking length of the game and doing something about those voters who are the type and only know about specific series. Next year seems to be doing so in which they both shrunk the time of the game while increasing character eligibility, specifically the newer shows.

About ISML and the addition of new characters, league is so that it incorporates everyone from all years. You get some new people here and there, but if they cannot match up with the veterans, it is simply a too bad for them. When it is their time to shine, and the voters believe as such, they will do so and it will show. Again, this goes back to a majority of voters knowing/watching a limited amount of anime. You can blame the voters for not allowing certain characters to get into the Regular season game in the first place if you want to talk about getting new people there. The new plan for ISML is trying out the edition of having one side to veterans and another side newcomers. Talking about their strength can come after seeing them in action at ISML.

In terms of which system is the best, I would say that KBM has the best system if they get some voters from the past back here and perform multivite check before showing results. ISML second if it were shorter, and AST last if it can do something about series factions.