View Single Post
Old 2008-02-20, 15:40   Link #18
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
"2D school": 3D fighters never offered the same feeling as 2D fighters. With this sluggish and lowish pathetic jump, no way you can hope for an actual aerial combat in a 3D game a la SC and Tekken ever. Dont get me started on button mashing scrub Mitsurugi or Jin, I'd rather fight a scrubby Ryu/Ken/Akuma or the abomination that is Toki from Arc Systems' Hokuto no Ken.
Do I need to elaborate on fireballs, trap games, mix-up games and tick throws that makes 2D fighters much more appealing to me than SC and tekken can ever hope to be?
Well, being a player of both 2D and 3D fighting games, I like to think that what 3D games like SC usually offer is a much better balance between intuitiveness and complexity. 2D fighting games tend to be much much more complex in terms of playing style--not that it's a bad thing, but it can turn off casual players very easily. Soul Calibur, on the other hand, is simple enough to make a button-mashing newbie fest really good fun, and also provide enough complexity to satisfy the needs of more hardcore players. 2D fighters require much more knowledge of the mechanics and enough practice.

To put it simply, I can kick any of my newbie friends' asses at any time in any Street Fighter battle imaginable (especially in the Crossover series ), but there's a higher chance they'll beat me a couple of times in Soul Calibur.

PS: BTW, I love Soul Calibur. I had been a 2D fighter player all of my life until I discovered the beauty of its simple yet complex system.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote