View Single Post
Old 2012-01-14, 02:25   Link #131
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
arlong arc was also the pivotal point for me. it's when i realized the potential of the series. every time i see that march to arlong park scene i get goosebumps knowing how great this series has become since then.
Personally I see the potential as early as Zoro's background.

And that really is when I'm sold on this manga, which is pretty early. I still remember that I was fresh in college and went back to Taiwan for summer vacation in 1999. I've heard about this new series OP before but wasn't willing to give a chance due to fact I was trying to move away from JUMP. Running out of title to read, a few of my friends in Taiwan keep pushing me to read and I finally caved. When I read to Zoro's background, that is when I decided, screw my plan, I'll keep reading JUMP titles a bit more.

It really was a very simple story, but at time it was something that you never seen in Shonen, especially JUMP action and it executed so well that it moves you.

The story really doesn't sound much, but with is being JUMP and the style of art, you were expecting that flashback to end with Zoro making promise to Kuina and that was it and Kuina will be a future character as well. Even if you were expecting Kuina to die you didn't think it was a random, freakish accident.

It's at the point I knew that this series would be good. But even then it was more like it'll be Kenshin good or Shaman King good. It was the Baratie/Arlong (I consider them together) that had me blew away and and decided that it is definitely one of the best in it's generation.

Alabasta allows it to be in the same breath as Slam Dunk and DB for me and W7 to Marineford allow it to surpass them.