View Single Post
Old 2012-12-21, 02:55   Link #1268
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFairy View Post
What I meant was that focusing too much on the main character's romance could possibly turn into a melodramatic mess. I've never been able to finish SEED simply because I can't stand such high levels of melodrama. In fact, one of the things that I love about 00 is that it is politically driven, with plenty of action sequences to prevent those politics from becoming too drawn out and boring. Romantic relationship are fine, just as long as it doesn't take up half of the storyline. They somewhat entered the realm of melodrama with Saji and Louise, and to a lesser extent Allelujah and Marie, but the creators were able to pretty much dig them out of it by the time the movie came out and return most of the attention to action and politics.
For the most part, I would say it is the execution that matters, not whether or not something is in the show.

Case in point, much of the "melodrama" of SEED wasn't about the fact that the main character was in a romantic relationship, although it certainly played a factor.
Quote:
If done correctly then placing Setsuna in a romantic pairing could have had a positive effect on the story.
There you go.

Of course, I suppose the problem is that there may be a lack of trust that they can do it properly, not to mention what's proper may be different for different people.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote