View Single Post
Old 2006-09-24, 05:30   Link #6
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
I have to say a site dedicated to fansubbing resources would be a great idea - I see the classifieds here get one or two new ads every day, and generally they are never updated so it's hard to know what is filled or not.
Potential problems in getting a site like this off the ground:

o Popularity: if everyone continues to crosspost their ads in other places, such as the classifieds here and in other places, the worth of a dedicated site is diluted. There are plenty of benefits a site like this can bring, groups should make a concerted effort to begin promoting it as the location they promote jobs in the wanted ads they stick in their own forums.
In other words, promote fansubbers.org as the primary and preferred (but not exclusive) choice for everything it offers.

o Relevance: The site will become poopular and well used mainly for the current user submitted content. I'm not saying it should be web2.0'ed up, just that as with many sich sites (doom9, the cccp site), the guides and wikis often lie stagnant while all the action happens in the forums. While obviously some attention should be given to whatever guides/links/info/etc that will eventually appear up there, easy user submission of content is a must.
A quick look around the site shows that people are already putting effort into the site and that it already has lists of shows being subbed, etc etc, which is great, and exactly what will keep the site alive and useful.

o cost / logistics: Maybe an issue, maybe not. The bandwidth and other bits and pieces that site like this requires will cost money. Monetary donations are frankly a crap way to keep a site running as they are uncertain and there's only so much money that will be donated into the anime scene to go around. A better solution is to get someone to host the site for free, or even a bunch of people. CCCP downloads from the official site total aorund 2200 - 2600gb a month, the only way to support that level of bandwidth is to have multiple people (11 for the CCCP) donating server bandwidth and some sort of random mirror system to spread the load (ie the cost) among a lot of people.
As I said above, maybe an issue, maybe not - but donations should be a last resort.

I hadn't heard about this site before, I think it looks great and could turn into something very useful if it becomes popular.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote