View Single Post
Old 2011-07-24, 06:10   Link #2863
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
I've kinda gotten used to the fact that manga/anime use psychology as a means to push forward the story or introduce certain situations. Rarely is it realistic and credible but is based on myths and popular belief about the human mind.

@KLGChaos: Can you find me where the part about what SK originally planned for Yuki is mentioned please because I can't really believe that without proof.

Yuki acts a little out of proportion but if actual rape was the only option for Yuki not to look like a drama queen then I'd still choose the current state - I don't think I could've continued reading the series if it turned out she was actually raped. If that was the case "alternative Yuki" would be in an extreme emo and angst state she is now starting from chapter 1 , heck, she wouldn't even have the nerve to talk to Utsumi, not to mention proposing to counsel him about love.

To me GE would've just turned out to be another depressing series like Bitter Virgin, which I know many people really liked, but which I personally would never touch.
Sorry, Waven. You'll have to ask Rainrir for it. He's the one who originally clued me in and is definitely a reliable source. I guess the tankobon that describes Yuki says that she was intended to have a darker past (doesn't specifically mention rape, but I don't know how much darker you can get) and was part of the Kendo club. She wore her Kendo armor as a symbolic means to protect herself. However, Sasuga's editor said it was a no go and she had to tone it down and apparently, he was also the one who suggested the tennis club instead.

Here is Rainrir's original quote in reply to me on OM:

"It is highly likely that the original setting has a rape scenario involved. This is alluded towards in the character design notes, where Yuki was supposed to be a Kendo Club member (who feels secure only in her armor) instead and the statement that Yuki's past was supposed to be far darker. The editor shot that down (and suggested the Tennis club thing).

I once argued with another psychology student (on mangafox ironically) on how realistic is Yuki linking this associative trauma (her life being destroyed, loss of trust in everyone) with the action of sex is. The conclusion is that it is unlikely IRL, but possible (people make irrational associations all the time). I swear someone will call me a poser again for raising this point. However, my view is that the current events are a carry over from the original setting...Kei already intended for this to eventually happen since day one."

I believe someone may have posted them in the GE fanclub at one point. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2011-07-24 at 07:29.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote