View Single Post
Old 2011-09-12, 01:35   Link #852
Drifting Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Thunder View Post
Well my understanding of physics says your wrong on that. Aluminum does not normally respond to an outside magnetic field. Perhaps if Misaka's powers were closer in nature to what Magneto's powers are, then it would be a big problem for her.

But her power deals with electromagnetism and not just magnetism on it's own.

In this case, she can conduct electricity through the Aluminum and thus as a result the metal becomes magnetic regardless of whether or not it's ferromagnetic. (last time I checked Aluminum is a conductor and that's the main requirement) She can then alternate the polarity of all the pieces or have them all have the same polority and then produce a secondary electromagnetic field to interact with the now magnetic metal. This would most likely produce the same result had the metal been made of iron or steel. It may take more calculation to achieve this though so it may be more difficult compared to other metals, but in the end it's not impossible for her.

The reason I chose 'ferromagnetic' as a requirement is that it's much simpler to use as it responds far more easily than aluminium. To be precise, Aluminium falls under the category of 'paramagnetism', meaning that it only works with an applied field and that applied field would have to be massive. Massive enough to destabilize the building had she tried.

This is because paramagnets only display the smallest of magnetic attraction despite having an external electromagnetic field applied to them. And with the 'Graviton' being destabilized, chances are that the spin orientations that determine magnetic susceptibility will become negatively affected and throw off her attempts to magnetize it.

Long story short, if she wanted to take control of it, she would have to use an alternating current (AC), which would take too long and be even less effective with a destabilizing mass.
Drifting Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote