View Single Post
Old 2011-06-03, 18:31   Link #38
Undertaker

That's part of what's interesting about this period and the reason why not only was it popular in amongst Chinese, but also in Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, the entire East Asian countries.

The more you learn about it, the more you can discuss and analyze. In fact back when I started getting into this period back when I was young I thought Yuan Shao was a fool and a bad leader. But now, after learns more and more over years you realizes there's no way a fool can establish that huge a power base.

I mean, even after Yuan Shao suffers another crushing defeat in the Battle of Cang Ting. He was still able to put out all the rebellions resulted by the two losses within a short period of time before his death a year later due to illness. During that few months, Cao Cao still reluctant and unable to mount an attack and waited until Yuan's passing before he did so.

If anything, he is kind of like Imagawa during Japanese Sengoku period, where he was doomed by popular believe due to the reason that he lost his last major battle to a vastly smaller force and eventual powerhouse figure Oda Nobunaga. Otherwise the history actually has very high regard for Imagawa. In Yuan Shoa's case, all the criticism he received were from Cao Cao's brain trusts during the two battle. All the reference shown that he was a noble leader who enjoyed vast support of the people under his rule and can attract talent. He's only short coming was that he can be a bit indecisive and not taking in advices from his advisors at time.