View Single Post
Old 2009-02-18, 14:37   Link #20
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
True he gives respect to those that are widely known (i.e. Sengoku, Garp, Shanks), but he still considers himself above them. His elitist attitude makes me sick, but the good thing about that is that will ultimately be his downfall. C'mon guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants Whitebeard to die right?
I certainly want Whitebeard to fall (I have been calling for Whitebeard's death for a year or so now ), if for no other reason than to move the story in an interesting direction, but I do not really see Whitebeard's arrogance as being an overpowering trait, nor do I see him as being more arrogant than the Shichibukai or various villains in the series (Whitebeard hasn't labeled himself a God just yet ). Whitebeard is supposedly equal to the greatest pirate of all time, so doesn't he deserve to be a bit proud arrogant? And, if Whitebeard has encountered the other "Old Timers" in the past and, seemingly, come out ahead, shouldn't he have the right to act superior to them (Sengoku, Garp, Shanks, Mihawk, etc)? Arrogance in the face of unknown adversity is one thing, but Whitebeard seems to have arrogance in the face of known adversity.

That being said, when you get right down to it, aren't most characters in One Piece a bit arrogant? For example, Luffy believes that he should fulfill his dream of becoming Pirate King, but when you really think about it, why should Luffy deserve the title, there have been people fighting for the title longer than Luffy has been alive, and have gone through similar situations to Luffy, so why does Luffy believe that he can attain or deserve the title? Simply because he believes in himself? Doesn't it take a bit of arrogance to even attempt to attain such a title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINBEI View Post
Well he is above them, if he was not Whitebeard would not have the title of the strongest. If it was all show and no go, I would dislike Whitebeard also, but since its not, he's cool in my book. Kaidou now just feels like someone Luffy is bound to take out. Out of the 3 Yonkou we have a bit of info on he seems like the weakest.
Why is Kaidou the weaker member now? He was attempting to defeat Whitebeard. True, he may have attacked in a sneaky manner, but to still attempt to fight Whitebeard implies that Kaidou is not that far removed in strength from Whitebeard (considering that Kaidou attacked because he believed that he could win).

That being said, I agree that Kaidou seems to be turning into the villain (or at least the more cut-throat) of the Yonkou.

---

This is a fun chapter. I love the various Head Animal Guard designs (I have never seen a more freakier Elephant, and I saw the recent Horton Hears a Who and the rhino was beautifully misshapen). I hope that the Magellan/Luffy fight starts up next chapter. I am eager to see what Magellan can really do.