Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-14, 21:00   Link #3337
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonae View Post
I haven't read all of your post but here is my argument why ch. 20 looked as if it didn't quite cut it. By the way, I'm not angry at all and don't think it's "poorly written" especially.

It seemed to me that originally Achiga was planned to lose in the semifinal. Reasons:
1. Two major flags set that had to be cleared for the story were cleared soon after the first match of the semifinal.
a) Akado Harue recovered from her trauma sustained during her Inter High when Kokaji said she remembered very well when she played into Harue's hand in the match she got the trauma.
b) Shizuno and co. reunited with Nodoka.
2. Achiga team wasn't described so competent initially, at least not as competent as the teams which are monstrous and then Shizuno suddenly got her supernatual power with little indication (I think Koromo's comment given to Saki was first). On the other and Senriyama team had been fleshed out very well for a one-off team and was really impressive (might be more impressive than Achiga).
3. That two teams, which have club members only enough to entry the tournments and are virtually made just before the tournaments, and conveniently they are old friends, go to the final at the same time is rather silly for the story or diminishes the value of the nationals Saki's team participates in.
I do want to touch one two points on your point 2. For the first part, ironically it was kind of the opposite, I think. They were described as quite competent/good/whatever by quite a few characters, it's just that Ritz really show their competency that well (or rather it almost feels like at times she went out of her way to make them appear incompetent but that's a whole another topic). Also, it wasn't that Senriyama was fleshed out, it was Toki that was fleshed out. I don't really think the rest of Senriyama even got a tenth of the development that Toki did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
To be fair, maybe I worded it too strongly, but you're misrepresenting my position here. While I'm convinced that the writing is indeed faulty, that doesn't mean I disliked the whole thing. Even many readers have to admit the writing really does suffer in this series mostly due to pacing issues and, arguably, insufficient characterization for some. I'm well aware that these are flaws are due to issues of length and time, but that's just how it is.

Even despite all that, I enjoy this series for its delightful cast of characters, each with their own dilemmas and motivations for playing mahjong. The crazy interactions between lesbian mahjong powers are another definite plus. And for me, it's these factors that still made the ending very much enjoyable.
Well, I actually mostly agree with this. There were some issues and some things could have been done better, but for me personally at least, it was quite an enjoyable ride. I just feel like some people are really over-exaggerating the issues though.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote