View Single Post
Old 2016-06-20, 09:01   Link #1931
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I've seen a lot of people in various places comment about their misgivings toward Subaru's attitude in this episode. What confuses me about these reactions is that the episode literally contains a monologue wherein he explains his motivations for doing the things he proceeds to do. Most importantly: The reasons he gives are extremely valid given the circumstances, and even more valid considering he's both the main character and a deus ex machina.

If Subaru isn't involved and things go south, how is he going to carry all of his friends on his back like he's been doing with those broad, broad shoulders of his for 12 episodes straight? It may be annoying, and it may be clingy, but he's also right. This isn't a relationship issue. This is about everybody around him dying repeatedly and him being the only one able to actually stop it from happening. To do that, he needs to be there, and he needs to be in the loop. It's better he bites the bullet and defies her at the risk of nothing happening, than him sitting idly while something bad happens and him potentially missing a chance to act and prevent it.

As far as the jealousy goes, I agree, but it's a cliche, and it is what it is. That kind of attitude is so overused in characters that I just ignore it unless it becomes a solid part of the character's motivations, and given the situation I doubt it'll be relevant.
I don't really see it like that. You and Subaru has to remember that for each new loop, he is basically starting fresh with these people all over again. Yes, he has memories of the other loops, but only he knows of the danger. He can't expect the others to understand. Also, even if he's feeling this anxiousness because of his previous experiences, I don't think that his action were correct.

Honestly, he's the one who has died the most. Not anyone around him. Emilia has died once, Felt once, Rom twice, and Rem once. Every other time, it's been him. And also to be perfectly honest, though he does know the outcome of the loops and tries to turn the tide, he's really not the saving grace in most cases. And just because there was danger those times doesn't give him the right to demand that he stay with Emilia every time she goes out or know every important thing she's doing. She won't understand his need to, and he needs to understand that he just can't do that, even if there is danger.

Sure he listed his reasons, and I rolled my eyes at all of them. All of them just sounded like over-protection to me. Like a parent who's child got in an accident, and so they can't let the child do anything on their own for fear of something happening. You can understand why he feels that way, but that doesn't make his actions the right ones.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu