View Single Post
Old 2010-11-30, 00:47   Link #280
Undertaker

exactly, there are still incest laws, just to various degree. Most advance countries has excluded non-blood relation but not if there is direct blood relation, ie, you can marry to your step-sibling, or step-parents but not your biological parents nor blood-siblings that was born from same parent as you do.

As 00-Raiser states, some countries has now allow first-degree cousins to get married, ie. your mom's sibling's kids, or you dad's sibling's kids.

The least strict I've seen might allow half-sibling but nothing closer than that. You still can't marry your mom who give birth to you, nor your grand parents (if you swing that way...), and certainly not your sister who are born from the same mother and conceived by the same father as you.

I mean, back in medieval era and middle ages, you might find some culture practice in-breeds, but not anymore, even if you do, they are in extreme minority.

The few countries that you listed I can only verify Brazil, France, and Portugal and none allow legal marriage, even if the other countries are true only France, Belgium, Luxembourg , and Portugal are considered developed or advance country. That's 4 out of a list of about 50 countries considered as developed or advanced.

Don't know where you got the idea that Sweden and Japan allows incest. Incest of blood relation within third degree is illegal Sweden, and same as in Japan. ie, you can not marry to you aunts and uncle but you can marry your cousins.