View Single Post
Old 2008-12-17, 06:25   Link #2864
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I'm with ZUN on this boat.
I don't want to repeat one thing over and over, so I'll borrow this post (which is better than mine in term of wording):

Quote:
Obscurity lets ZUN maintain the “soft control” over his characters he’s exerted all these years- he’s never had to tell someone “you can’t do that with those characters” and shut down a work of love. A big project, however, could force his hand.

For example, what if the anime killed off a character? You could just shrug and say “it’s a doujin”, but it rings a bit hollow with an big-name cast and years of effort. People getting into the scene from the anime would have a slanted view of the series, which (in significant numbers) would create pressure on ZUN to accept the anime as canon. If the anime is successful- and it probably will be- what if people start talking about a series? Things could get ugly fast.

In short, this could force ZUN to start approving and disapproving of how characters are used- something he’s never done before and probably never wants to do. By saying this now, he’s trying to maintain the status quo- but Touhou’s rising popularity is probably going to change things sooner or later.