View Single Post
Old 2008-04-28, 21:39   Link #65
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
Which would you choose? Rick has more relevant experience than Vince [or Reinhardt, who sat out the Sentinels war on the SDF-3] and unlike Breetai and Lisa isn't technically an alien [Breetai being Zentradi and Lisa having become adopted as a Praxian]
In Macross, Vrlitwhai (Breetai) was promoted as the Commander of the UN SPACY. This made sense, because he had more experience commanding large fleets than anyone alive and most ships in service were mostly Zjentohlauedy in origin. Regardless, it simply shows that in Macross, people had absolutely no problems with Zjentohlauedy commanders sitting on top of the military hierarchy, as they have been cultured and no longer a threat. In fact, Vrlitwhai later commandeered the new UN SPACY navy against many 'rogue' Zjentohlauedy fleets for many decades. Since no record of him being mortally wounded exists, he is assumed to be still alive and still acting as the commander of the UN SPACY.

Too bad in the Robotech universe, the world still discriminate against Zentradis, even though the latter would have technically OUTNUMBERED humans by a million to one! And the Robotech universe never indicated OTHERWISE!

Quote:
ignoring the material provided in various bits of Robotech
The fact is, these so-called materials were published AFTER 'Robotech' had achieved unexpected success, and HG went on to hastily capitalize it by attempting to produce 'relevant' materials, although they were anything but 'relevant'. As glyph mentioned earlier, HG didn't even realize what they were doing until well into the middle of the show.

If HG didn't want anyone to pick on plot-holes, then don't leave holes that big! It left obvious answers to questions unanswered, and relied on horrible writing and bad capitalist practice to ruin the rest.

Quote:
Robotech =/= Macross the same as New Battlestar Galactica =/= Old Battlestar Galactica. Its a different Universe the same as the three seperate ones that make up Macross.
Because the New BSG was a brand new production, an original creation with a brand new production crew. ROBOTECH was anything BUT an original creation. It was nothing more than a dubbed anime airing on US TV, with almost all the source materials nearly UNALTERED but forcefully combined to befit whatever freakish reasons CM had in mind. Worse, CM barely heeded the original creator of the series. So in short, HG did not create the original characters, nor did they fabricate the original concept, except loosely stringing them together into three shows and forcing a non-existent connection on them.

If they wanted Robotech to truly stand out as a separate universe, perhaps they should have considered ORIGINAL WORK to begin with. Like Stealth (the movie), which its director admitted to influence from Macross PLUS (and Yukikaze), but despite influences was an original piece of work nonetheless.

Quote:
I was under the impression there are no lawsuits outstanding. Big West and Tatsunoko have settled thier differences over who can do what with Macross and Harmony Gold can do what they wish with Robotech.
There isn't a law suit because none has been initiated. With BW and TATSU finally settling their differences only recently, they still need to cooperate with BANDAI (the source of all related merchandise), who is blocking any attempt for Japanese exporters from communicating with HG regarding exporting MACROSS-related goods to the states. HG, even now, is demanding royalties for Macross goods being sold in the US. Contrary to popular belief, HG is STILL sending cease-and-decease letters.

You know, in just about every single one of my posts in this thread, I have pretty much indicated that my primary problem with HG is the fact that they are holding onto the Macross license and barring any related materials from coming in.

What they do with Robotech is their problem, but don't let that interfere with Macross. Due to HG's insistence (out of greed, obviously), we are unable to see the likes of Macross 7 or Macross Zero being officially released in the states, including associated merchandise. And that, to me, is an affront to my sensitivities.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote