View Single Post
Old 2006-04-15, 14:38   Link #6
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Oban - Star Racer (French - Japanese Co-Production)

I was kind of surprised no one around here made a topic on this. Atleast, nothing from what I can tell.

Anyways, this series as probably most know, is a co-production between France and Japan, in which will be airing in America this Summer. The first two episodes aired in france, and I managed to watch them.

Let me just say this off the bat, the series has a heavy anime feel to it, even if it doesn't have the usual anime style. The main episode itself was animated by HAL, which pretty much almost the entire first episode was mainly 2D animation. The actual 3D bits were animated by Sav! the World's Studio. The character designs follow a uniqueness to them, not something you usually see.

The music wise, it's pretty awsome. The episode music itself was done by Taku Iwasaki and Toshiaki Ohta. (Though, I don't know which one write or composed the music, however. The ending mentioned Toshiaki Ohta as the Music Producer.) The opening theme and ending theme was done by Yoko Kanno, and was sung by Akino (Op) and Sukoshi (ED). The french TV Opening was a condensed version, and was sung by a french vocalist Christèle Labonne, however the ending, while condensed, was still sung by Sukoshi. The ending song was a very slow paced song, which surprisingly was all Japanese. (Unlike the Opening) It pretty much shows some images of Molly as she was younger, and her family.

Getting into the episode itself, the plot actually follows a rather interesting mix. For the whole first episode, there's almost no mention of racing. The actual plot for the whole first episode pretty much has the young girl "Molly" (Take note of "") escaping a school and getting accepted into a company. At first it sounds simple, but there's a whole plot reason I'd rather not spoil.

I'll probably post a summary here later. But has anyone here else seen it?
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote