View Single Post
Old 2010-06-25, 14:32   Link #11578
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTR View Post
However, don't the letters always say that she gives up her "rights to the headship" if someone finds the gold? In EP3 you could argue that it is possible Eva never found the gold, but that same trick doesn't work in EP5 because Erika is detective and she finds the gold with Battler. The gold is real and it does get found in EP5. Then why do people still die? Maybe this is hint towards multi-tiered culprits (i.e. once the gold is found, the culprit suddenly becomes someone else and people die for a different reason then what did before. Kind of like how in Higurashi if one set of conditions were avoiding, you ran into another set of conditions with other people dieing?)
I have, actually, always been a proponent of a multi-culprit approach, and I am doubtful about the possibility of a single mastermind who somehow forces others to murder. I think all of the murders within any given episode are not committed by a single person (in some cases I think it's even impossible) and I don't think Beatrice has anything to do with any actual murders. What I think we have on our hands is multiple people, willing to kill multiple other people for very varied reasons, the fake murders giving them the opportunity to start, and further murders continuing because they are now permitted as everyone hopes to blame them on someone else.

That Beatrice might not even be connected to the fake murders, though, is a possibility, but that brings us back to the questions we started with:
  • If the first twilight isn't fake, who does all the corpse moving, (heavy, unwieldy, raining) of the first twilight, and how do people end up in the theatrical and grotesque situations we find them in? Fake First Twilight answers this by 'they are coerced or enticed into a theatrical situation where they aren't supposed to be dead and then someone else comes by and kills them', and that's the only serious answer we have.
  • What is it that one really needs to kill six alert, active and alive people in a short span of time, and often, in a single room, and do we have any characters capable of that at all?

I'm afraid that the fake first twilight is still the best explanation, and to be honest, the red about fear still allows multiple interpretations. "[Beatrice's] Her goal is not to make someone experience fear." It does not necessarily mean that if someone might experience fear, Beatrice didn't do it. It is quite possible that fear inevitably results from her actions, but is not within her goal -- like, if I shoot a gun at a butterfly flying next to your ear, I might make you experience fear, but my goal is to shoot down the butterfly.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote