View Single Post
Old 2011-11-22, 12:36   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
This is in my opinion the most interesting post to come out of the latest discussion on moe thread. A big problem is that the word moe has come to represent different things to different people. If I generalize: those who dislike moe use it as a general symbol of what they feel is wrong with anime. While fans try to educate on what moe represents and explain the meaning of the word as used by fans.
Part of the communication breakdown over moe arises, I think, from the following disconnect:

1. A lot of moe fans go by their best understanding of the term itself, which causes the term to basically mean the same as "heartwarming" or some other positive emotion akin to that. So for some moe fans, a person criticizing moe seems practically unfathomable: "How can you dislike characters that warm your heart, and make you want to protect them?! It just does not compute."

2. Moe critics go by the types of shows and characters that most commonly have the term "moe" applied to them. So for them, moe is pretty objective, and is not intrinsically tied to a particular emotion or feeling. It's as objective as "sci-fi" or "high fantasy" is. It defines a specific range of characters, and a few very specific types of shows.

Both sides have a point.

Yes, moe is technically about feeling a certain way towards a character, and different people could conceivably feel that way about very diverse characters.

However, in a more practical sense, "moe" really is much more commonly associated with certain types of shows and characters than with other types of shows and characters.

If a moe fan is going to debate a moe critic, I think there at least needs to be this understanding between both sides. The moe critic is typically not criticizing the feeling of moe so much as s/he's criticizing those characters and shows widely held to be moe by the otaku fanbase itself.

So I think that debate/discussion on moe should revolve around those specific characters and shows, since that is what the moe critic is truly taking aim at, imo.

That being said, I think it's fair to point out how moe can arise in different contexts. That you can have, for example, moe characters in shows that don't have much in the way of a moe atmosphere (I would argue that Madoka Magica is a great example of this). While these shows are not moe shows, many of the characters themselves are nonetheless moe, and hence can justifiably be cited to defend moe character types as a whole.

Now, has anime changed?

Certainly. Art style has noticeably changed over the past decade or so (much more clean and streamlined and cutesy now, I would say).

New genres have arisen while some older ones have largely faded away, or at least declined.

For some viewers, these changes are great, but for others, not so much.