View Single Post
Old 2007-09-12, 15:18   Link #96
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Funny you brought this up, because I was planning on asking it at the Japanese Culture topic in the Off-Topic section. I understand that, for the sake of the story, Kona and Patty became friends, or at least partners, quite quickly, even if Patty is a gaijin-otaku. But, in general, how are foreign otaku seen inside the amazing Japanese otaku circle? Obviously, I'd say that we are, at the very least, seen as posers and dishonorable bastards who can't appreciate the true meaning of Anime. ( Obviously, a rough and overly general statement by my part. I'm pretty sure that your average Japanese won't be bothered that much by foreigners and their anime addiction. )
Hmm, I'm sure actual J-otas like Kj1980-dono can answer better, but from what I read in 2ch and other blogs, there seemed to be two distinct reactions: One is that of amazement, that an outcast subculture can be so widely accepted in the Western world they believe to be to have racist or outdated notions about Japanese or Asian cultures (yes, even they know Hollywood movies are racist). They understand that a few gaijin in Japan can enjoy the real Japan, but masses of gaijin boys and girls obsessing the same 2-D entertainment they need to hide from the Japanese public? Some of them are fascinated and felt proud of that fact. Deep inside otakus always loved their culture, but the gaijin-otas gave them validations that their obession isn't abnormal; it's actually something they could be proud of.

In another hands, there are right-wing leaning "purists" who doesn't believe gaijins will ever GET their anime culture and they fear that outside demand will corrupt the status quo. I think even many anime creators fear the same; that anime will be made to cater to the "Western clientèle" and forsake the J-otas. As you know, the value systems in the West sometimes conflict with the very Japanese otaku culture in term of sex and violence. With works like Afro Samurai I think they have reason to fear. They don't want the "prudish and violent" gaijins to "Hollywood-ize" anime and change its Japanese core. They also believe the ousiders will ever get the real otaku spirit. You can see a lot of this type of reaction in this year's Saimoe tournament.

I think overall, from almost a 3rd party perspective, that the gaijin anime fans has shown a great deal of respect toward Japanese and otaku culture. I don't think any true anime fan who wanted to change the original culture, but rather I see a lot more trying to understand and even participate in it. I believe a lot of the Japanese otakus saw these efforts and appreciate them, so you'll have English-speaking otas like kj1980-dono here in anisuki trying to help folks out. The aformentioned "fear" is a natural extention of the more Hikkomori-like otakus distrust of outside world. Some of these guys can't even talk to people in their own household, what do you think their opinion of gajins half a world away would be? If you read 2ch enough you'll know that the otakus have far more worse things to say about other Asians than the gaijin-otas who tried to support their art-form. I think overall impression is that, gaijin-otas are cool as long as they don't start demanding change or be act in a rude manner (gaijin stereotype here).

Quote:
But what do you mean by "cooler"? That just because we're not japanese we're allowed to express outselves in an otaku way more openly than the japanese do? In my opinion, that would be a huge misconception... I mean, Anime is mainstream in Japan. Not only anime, but light novels and manga..

2 things here... 1. Anime is NOT mainstream in Japan. Some anime are accepted in the mainstream, like Miyazaki films and some TV anime like Sazae-san or Chibi Maruko-chan, but if you say you're an adult who watched anime late at night, people will laugh at you. For most poeople, anime is children's entertainment. Manga, on the other-hand, is mainstream. Everyone reads manga, and that's not a taboo. Strange to you, but perfectly reasonable to the Japanese. Light Novels are okay for young people to read, but again, if you're an adult you should be reading "The White Tower" and not "Shakugan no Shana".

2. What I meant by "cool" is a general stereotype from the average Japanese about a random Westerner. Japanese in general have a fairly good opinion of white folks visiting their country (other skin colors are another story). Some people, especially young girls, think most if not all white people have "better" tastes in term of music, art, etc due to the very limited view of Western culture they get in Japan. Of course this is all a huge stereotype and most people who actually knew gaijins knows that's just not true. But for a country girl from Takeshima, it's close enough. Same goes with foreign countries in general, especially European countries. Most Japanese girls think Paris is this magical land of love; in so much that some who actually visited Paris needed hospitalization or mental counseling because the real Paris is so far below their expectations (true story). So this "gaijin coolness" is nothing but a positive stereotype of the masses of Japanese who has never seen or knew a real gaijin, but as Japan becomes more open, that too will change.

Quote:
One of the things that Patty's presence in Lucky*Star makes me grateful to the authors is that it probably gives the idea that we're all brothers in otakudom, Japanese and foreigners alike.
Another thing about Patty which most of you probably missed is this deep desire to see gaijin (especially gaijin girls) appreciate real Japanese culture. Underground or not, otaku culture is genuinely Japanese. Often thought of being discriminated against in the world, the Japanese love to see outsiders really enjoying their culture instead of critiquing it or trying to change it. The number one favorite thing for a non-otaku gaijin expat to do in Japan is to bitch about Japan. Frankly I see WAY less ignorant or even racist bitching from the gaijin otas in Japan. I think the otakus sees that too, and Patty is their mental ideal of the "perfect gaijin-sama"; meaning, the gaijin-otas are much less ignorant and racist than the non-ota gaijins whose knowledge about Japan came from the Western mass-media. Thus they are welcomed more in Japan. I'm sure every single otaku in Japan would love to see more Patties visiting Japan. Yeah the big boobies helped too. ^^;

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-09-12 at 15:32.