View Single Post
Old 2012-03-04, 21:00   Link #796
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think what disappoints me the most about these results is how all the new girls aren't able to even so much as scratch the 2011 competitors. In every single arena the winner was somebody who took part in ISML 2011. And the margin of victory was substantial (if not massive) in every single case.

This wouldn't be that big of a problem if all of the 2011 competitors were in their own division, but as is...

At a personal level, there's results I really like (Haruhi winning, Yuri winning, some others) and some I wasn't fond of (the three Madoka Magica girls not doing better), but the bigger issue overall is simply the glaring inability of the new girls to even hang with the ISML 2011 girls if these results are any indication. I guess we'll see how Akemi Homura can do...

A secondary disappointment for me was the lack of older girls managing to rebound much.

So far, this is looking like ISML 2011 all over again...
This was something I was worried about and why I thought it would be better to divide Stella and Nova along past participation in the Regular season.

Participating in a Regular season can provide significant advantages, as a girl can develop a following that has voted for her repeatedly, and so are naturally willing to do so again. Of course the bottom half of the Regular season doesn't have this advantage as much, but still, it gives the top half an advantage over new girls.

If Stella was simply for girls that have participated in previous ISML Regular seasons, and Nova for girls that have never participated before, then I think that would make the nomination battles more interesting. Also the entire Nova division will be nothing but new faces, which I thought was the main point behind the divisions.

If the new shows for the year were weak, then you might see some older characters slip in a few positions, but I don't really see that as a problem. I'd rather see an older character as a new face in ISML instead of just seeing the expected faces winning with a bunch of weak girls as fodder. Indeed a bunch of new characters with a few old favorites that haven't had a chance to participate in ISML before would be a great way to attract new voters, increase ISML presence, and broaden the voter base.

My suggested division method was rejected because there were not enough characters that had previously participated to fill out the nominations for the Stella division. Maybe next year will have enough previous participants for my suggested method of dividing the classes to be reconsidered.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?