Thread: Crunchyroll Nichijou
View Single Post
Old 2011-02-19, 17:51   Link #81
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
I don't know how much experience you have in watching anime outside of certain genre's but from all that I've seen from anime ranging over the span of 5 decades I would say that the vast majority of anime look far better than what I saw in that trailer. I don't think anime would be the popular medium worldwide that it is today if most shows looked inferior to that trailer. That's a scary thought actually.
Quote:
I don't know how much experience you have in watching anime outside of certain genre's but from all that I've seen from anime ranging over the span of 5 decades I would say that the vast majority of anime look far better than what I saw in that trailer. I don't think anime would be the popular medium worldwide that it is today if most shows looked inferior to that trailer. That's a scary thought actually.
Here we go. First, I think I mentioned on the last page that I'm nowhere near what you'd call a fan of K-ON!! (and Lucky Star and whatever) because of their characters and plotline. I simply enjoy it for their production values. Now, since we got that out of the way, I also have watched a lot of other shows which by your logic must feature superior animation since they're more appealing to the mainstream public throughout the world (lol). They'd include stuff like Gundam and Ghost in the Shell, for instance. Or maybe even more experimental things, in the veins of Nakamura's Mononoke and Satoshi Kon's Paprika.

Now uh, I'm sure this might come as a shock, and then maybe not, but shows such as Milky Holmes and Yumekui Merry have featured much more impressive animation throughout their runs than, say, Gundam 00. It's not that Gundam 00 was incapable of having good animation, but it was far too occasional and overall the series had a lot of episodes which just looked cheap most of the time. This isn't really an "opinion", by the way, you might as well check episode 20 of S2, for instance, the whole part before the OP looks incredibly stiff and the characters overall are drawn poorly if compared to how they should be looking. And this is commonplace in something with such mainstream appeal as Gundam, because, really, your "everyday" fan hardly will care about little details such as these. As long as the plot's good and they get their mechas, it's fine. In the end they will make a profit over merchandise and other things, so there isn't exactly the same level of care being put into it as the late-night shows, where most studios are small companies which are fighting for their consumers to grab the DVDs and remain alive.

Quote:
If you take into account a very small fraction of what the industry puts out (i.e light novel/visual novel adaptations) Kyoto Animation's....animation fairs very well. I can agree with this much. However take what they've put out in the grand scope of things and they really don't fare that well at all quite frankly. Again just going by my experiences.
I'm sorry, but, come again? A small fraction? Where have you been for the last few years? I'd say around 70% of most new shows each season are some sort of adaptation of a shounen/seinen manga and/or LN, with the occasional eroge and then you *might* get some really "incredible original show". The reason I picked those titles - aside from their quality - was precisely this. They aren't a "small fraction", they're the majority right now, and among those they're shows which have been capable of showing interesting animation. That may or may not be pleasant to you, but in the end shows such as Ghost in the Shell or Read Drive are the minority. I'm not trying to prove here that Nichijou looks better than Hayao Miyazaki's movies, or that it's the most impressive thing on TV right now, but it's a fact that this trailer featured much better animation than MOST of the shows that are airing nowadays. It doesn't mean Ghost in the Shell wasn't better, or Seirei no Moribito, or whatever the heck you want to add here. But like I said, x being better doesn't make y bad.

Really, I'm not sure what else I can add. If whatever I'm saying simply doesn't seem right to you, then it's too bad, but I don't think we'll ever be on the same page. You seem keen on putting down shows which might have some sort of relation to "moe" archtypes and things you don't like, as if they were inferior because of that. But this is completely irrelevant where good animation quality is concerned. I couldn't give a rats ass about Shuugo Chara (S1), but it's a show which is constantly being acclaimed for its animation, whereas I love Mugen no Ryvius, but it's a show that didn't really catch my eyes even once where animation quality was regarded. In the end, though, if I'm unable to change your views on this, I'll just give up trying to do so now. Because it's clear that I'm seeing something in animation and you might be looking at a different thing, be it art "style" or designs that please you, instead of well, the movement.

Plus, this is already going far too off-topic, so... If anything, feel free to PM me.