View Single Post
Old 2008-12-27, 15:01   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Alas I am used to having quests marked "complete" when there is nothing more to do then get the reward, so the system confused me. I was in the forest woods w/e raping ever bar, wierfvfluff, vampire and mmumy that came my way.
In your campground is a quest log. It will always tell you which quests still need to be completed. That is the place that the "complete" is marked by moving quest information to the "completed quests" section. BTW, you should read it: Some of it is rather funny.

Quote:
Well I am almost level five and only started playing yesterday, guess that is decent for a complete newbie sauceerror.
Yes, quite decent for a newbie. Impressive actually.

Quote:
Q. Does this rpg have a level cap?
That is actually a VERY good question. Short answer: Nope, no level cap. You're welcome to level up as high as you wish. There's even someone in the kingdom (SoCal) whose level recently surpassed 200. For most players though, that isn't even remotely relevant.

One thing that makes this different from most other games is the concept of Ascension. After you defeat the Naughty Sorceress, it becomes possible to ascend. The minimal no spoiler information about ascension is this: You go back to level 1 and get to play through the entire game again from scratch, but with some new content. The reward from your previous life is to keep one of your skills permanently. (You also keep all the familiars in your terrarium.) In the past few years I have ascended 57 times, so I have a lot of useful skills and have encountered all of the game's special content. At least all the content so far, since the devs add on new stuff every few weeks.

Many players are on a quest to permanent every skill in the game, increasing the power of their characters as they do so. There are even a few skills from different character classes that really shine when combined with skills from a different class. You can only do this after having ascended. (For instance, right now you're a Sauceror. If you make Advanced Saucecrafting permanent and then become a Pastamancer, then you'll have the ability to make saucy noodles which can only be crafted with skills from both classes.)

There's also special, very powerful gear that can only be aquired by completing special ascension challenges. For instance if you ascend hardcore you have no access to items from previous ascensions or the mall. If you ascend oxygenarian you cannot drink booze or eat food -- subsisting entirely on oxygen. One of the toughest ascension types is Bad Moon which is like hardcore, but you don't even have your permanent skills or the familiars in your terrarium. The rewards from doing these are unique to each class.

There is also some higher level content that requires a character to continue leveling up and growing more powerful AFTER defeating the Naughty Sorceress. This stuff really requires characters of levels 16-30, or a lower level character with a lot of powerful cross-class skills and super-powerful gear that can only be aquired by completing difficult ascension challenges.

In other words, while the game does not have a level cap, you'll probably want to ascend in order to grow in other ways.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote