Old 2008-01-18, 01:14   Link #497
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk
*Raises hand*. And I doubt I'm the only one.

Anyway, I don't think anyone has said that Nanoha's design is the optimum design for her weapon. What people have been saying is that physical sights and/or a stock for stablization is not necessary for optimum performance of the weapon. Maybe some people just prefer the things, like how some people like to drive automatic cars, while some like manuals. Do both get the job done? Sure. Does one or the other have advantages in certain situations? Yeah. Can you say conclusively that one or the other is better? I doubt it.

To me, you don't get it both ways. If you can agree that Nanoha's weapon is not optimally designed, why do you insist that a stock is useless? Isn't it more reasonable to figure a stock is helpful, and Nanoha's doesn't have it because it is not optimally designed, and not fantasizing about arm-jerk stabilizers that have not been shown?
Why can't it be not optimal, and still not require a stock? It could be not optimal in other ways, and perhaps having a stock is entirely a matter of preference. In any case, do we ever see any beams coming out exactly straight from the device's end? IIRC there's usually some space between the device and the projectile/beam, and in some cases an entire magic array or even magic ribbons forming a pseudo-barrel. The device could almost be seen as more of a cannon-like fuse lighter in those cases, with the array, ribbons and/or whatever programming available controlling any minute changes needed to correct aim. This is especially true for A's Ep02, where Nanoha actually swings RH in a pretty big arc to fire her Starlight Breaker... that can't be very accurate (of course, I doubt she needed great accuracy for what she was doing there ).