View Single Post
Old 2010-04-14, 10:07   Link #1500
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
But yes, they definitely screwed with her quite a bit. She was quite innocent, and she went through the crap she did.

Still... It seemed more like misogyny, to me at least. Even though we could speculate about what could've ('should have' being too bravado for my taste.) it leads to the same conclusion: speculation.

It's too bad, but it's true. Shirley died -- canonically. She passed on and will most likely remain dead. Her death was indeed material for the show, but that doesn't really justifies it in my opinion.

Just like Ten-Go said, a lot of characters were ready to die. But most of them weren't even aware of Lelouch's identity as Zero, let alot close to him for them to have an effect on him. (only one? Kallen. But that would be just as bad as Shirley dying... Even more so because it's Kallen. )

Just be glad for the time she was alive?
It has nothing to do with misogyny. She was a tragic heroine, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei.K View Post
Characters are meant to be tools serving the plot anyway.
As a fan of the character, I was really sad Shirley died, but that doesn't mean she can't keep on living as a character. This thread is enough of a proof.
Aerith from FF7 anyone ? It's been more than 10 years and people are still talking about her. Death means nothing for a great character
Aerith!!! AHHH!! I was so shocked from that...I lost that boss battle from being in shock, I kid you not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I guess your right.

And people are still talking about Aerith because of all the remakes of FF7... Advent Children, Crisis Core.. some anime adaptions/OVA's too. Off topic though.
There hasn't been one remake. Only additions to the story. And Crisis Core was awesome. I wish they'd make a full blown anime from Crisis Core to the end of FF7.

Quote:
It's just... Did Shirley really have to die? It was all very tragic. Then again... That is 'Code Geass in a nut shell' a friend of mine recently said. Believe me, he does awesome snippets

Anyways... Shirley was an innocent character and I felt compelled to like her more after the Mao-encholy events. Though her role was increased in R2, it really didn't help to know Lelouch pretty much killed troves of people in her name.

yeah Lelouch, that is what she wanted you to do all along. Do a massacre in retaliation of her death. Good going, +rep for that... :/
Her innocence is what made it so tragic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
Personally I thought Aerith was overrated as a character, just because she hadn't connected in that same kind of way. (General Leo from FF6 was much more tragic for my money.)
It's because of the CG and all - you actually saw it happen, so it had more effect.