View Single Post
Old 2008-02-24, 02:26   Link #64
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Honestly, I don't think Hiromi has that much going for her; she can't really play the "childhood friend" card since their friendship fizzled out long ago and Shin is much closer to Ai at the current time. She can't really play the "emotional" card either since she actively pushed Shin away and threw herself at Jun.
Well, Hiromi doesn't have much going for her, except the fact that Shin remains, to this day, basically obsessed with her. He's spent the whole show trying to find a way to make her happy, and it's only now that he believes he may be related to her that he decided to (try to) force himself to give up on his feelings for her (and so force her towards Jun, the guy he thinks she likes). She doesn't really need a "card to play": they've been in love with each other this whole time, and have a past history that's already been explained. Everyone else has needed "cards to play" to force them apart, more or less.

In other words, being in love with someone is sort of like a "trump card" -- it has the potential to single-handedly defeat all the others in the deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Which is why precisely why Hiromi will prevail and I will be tempted to kick this show to the curb. I hate to see wasted potential but I'm afraid this show may be headed down that path. Then again, this show may surprise me. Maybe it only seems like they are writing themselves into a corner, and they will find a way to get out. One can only hope.
I'm not sure why you'd consider it wasted potential, or why it'd be "writing themselves into a corner". No matter who Shinichirou "ends up with", wrapping up all the threads opened by the show's premise is still the point of the show. There are only so many ways to do that and still have things make sense (of course, I'm not saying there's only one way). I guess I just honestly don't see the problem or why it's automatically so horrible. But then again, my principle has always been, so long as the journey makes sense and is enjoyable, the destination will be fine no matter what.