View Single Post
Old 2006-12-05, 03:32   Link #67
anselfir
Style Über Alles

then you are destroying any rational argument over kira's powers. the case is that the limit is not specific enough with the evidences available to L for him to take the highly incremental risk of showing himself in public and at least showing the slightest suspicion of himself being L. This is such a great contrast with when L was being so so secretive so as to avoid even seeing the police.

This is a highly important plot twist that is justified just to create a situation of confrontation. I understand the work is an art, and we are being shown a personal conflict between the two lead characters, however, with each, they are drawn up by convenient devices (such as the mysterious aura surrounding L, and his quirks, showing some deviant character and talent that operates beyond human understanding, so the audience is expected to eat from L's hand, or brain), even more so for L, since his character is the one driving the story (the progress of the investigation is the story, hence L must be able to make progress, or something must happen in the investigation, in order for there to be a show).

Anyways, this is not my biggest complaint about the show. I can ignore these plot devices, but for Light's character to be so simply drawn, without showing any internal struggle over this issue, makes death note lose much of its potential. What would one do, he who can control death, that should be the theme, not some contrived action sequence, which it is increasingly becoming apparently.