View Single Post
Old 2012-10-18, 03:25   Link #73
Essenar
Fallen Angel

Send a message via AIM to Essenar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
No but I'm going to critize you for completely missing the point of the Illiad.
As ronin myael said -and even he overstated it I think- love was no important factor at all in this story but for the love of Achille for Patroclus and that wasn't the kind of love you talk about. The Illiad is all about fate, vanity and honor from men and gods.
But more importantly the point isn"t that you can't use love in fiction, that's stupid. Countless works of fiction have done that successfully realistically or not.
No, the problem is that in this story it is very badly written even taking into account the character's usual oversensitivity.
Although I maintain that brain damage does explain almost everything.

Yes it is, and if you truly believe that the death of your 13 years old unrequited crush would put you on a path to murder tens of thousand strangers, genocide your kin and kill your friends if it was within your power then you might want to think about consulting a professional. This is not normal.
Obito's personality collapse makes Sasuke look sane in comparison and that's saying something.
Dude, I did some crazy stupid stuff when I was 13-14 over a girl. Even stupider when I was 16. My high school girlfriend was cheating on me with some 22 year old. You have no idea how torturing that was. When you're a teenager in a relationship, you literally get nearly drunk with rage when people tell you it won't last and that you're young. I found out she was cheating and I almost entirely lost control of myself, drove my mom's SUV into a public park, broke some of my stuff. Going through a traumatic situation like that when you're a teenager, fresh into hormones and not adult enough to understand how to react. It's pretty scary.

Of course now, I'm in my late 20's, I'm a lot more mature and I know how stupid it was but does it change that it happened? Not at all. I get worried when I hear about kids having relationships because I know it's a lot of emotional weight for them to try to deal with: jealousy, intimacy, yearning, depression, confidence.

Obito was 13-16 years old and not only did he LOSE the girl he loved, his best friend stabbed her through the chest. This was after he tried to sacrifice his life for that same best friend and had his body permanently mutilated from it. And he also spent that time trapped in a cave with a zombie old man and a clone that want to take over the world. And YOU think it's a poorly executed plot? lol.

It's like you expect him to come out of that cave perfectly normal.

"OH well, my love died by my best friend's hand? Trapped in a cave with crazy old guy? Half of my body is made out of clone goop? Who cares, time to join Match.com and find a new girlfriend! Hey Kakashi! Did you hit it? PROPS BRO. Wanna go to Chipotle?"
Essenar is offline   Reply With Quote