View Single Post
Old 2008-01-29, 00:04   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I can't really find any information about the virus online, so perhaps it's a new one. Either way, you can try the safe mode login as mentioned above.

I do have one question - you're mentioning that the system doesn't recognize its own hard disk. If you just turn the computer on, does it load Windows? If it doesn't then the issue is probably that something, possibly the virus, screwed over your partition.

My own advice would be to try performing a Windows repair install. Basic steps to get into this: from the installer, choose to set up Windows XP (I believe this is the ENTER key). Accept the license agreement, and then select your Windows install and press R to perform a repair install.

The repair install will replace your system files but won't touch any of your other files. I don't remember if it wipes your registry - if it does, you'll need to reinstall your programs. If you can boot, you're good, but you'll probably want to run some virus scans anyway to remove the remains of the virus. Either way, just as a precaution you'll probably want to back up your data and then format your system. Malware has become such a pain these days that you can never be sure that you've removed all of it unless you wipe the entire drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
Oh, I had that virus.
(and teach your sister some common sense).

What I'd recommend for everyone is that if your computer will be used by anyone who isn't computer-savvy (or if you're a bit more paranoid like me, anyone who isn't you or who isn't being watched by you), set up a guest account for them to use. Enable fast-user switching so that your programs won't shut down, and tell them to use the other account (which should be a very restricted, non-admin account). That'll at least limit the amount of damage they can pull on your system.

It's too bad Windows doesn't have something OSX does - a guest account. Basically, someone can use it, and when they log out the entire thing is wiped. That way no garbage sticks around your system.