View Single Post
Old 2012-01-25, 10:32   Link #28
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
You claim not to target critics or discussion on the flaws, but your example of using Reckoner actually says otherwise. His rant was purely based on his critical view of the flaws of that episode and the serie itself.
What's point is he making by repeating it? It's essentially double posting with episode number changed from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and so forth. He is not discussing anything new like say what was good this episode, just rephrasing what he already said, and what we already know he thinks of it.
Spoiler for Quotes:

He's also addressing the completely wrong people about it. If I want to know what's wrong with the industry this year, or whats the worst anime of who knows when I would go find the appropriate thread in General Anime. The reason why anyone goes to the series thread is to find what's good about a show, what the show is about, and what people are discussing.

This is essentially going and talking about your love of meet products in the vegetarian convention or talking about manga/novels in the anime-only discussion. It's just with out purpose and can only go wrong.

What could possibly be the "good" result of such posts? People start agreeing with him and turn the thread into a ranting archive: "the 1001 things wrong with series XXX"? I can't think of any good thing that would come of it, and past incidents would indicate nothing good comes of it; you just can't hope for proper discussion in that context on that topic. At best it's just annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Also how can you start such a biased petition, while you are actually neutral on this?
What? I'm not neutral one it. I said I was neutral in the debate you accused me of ranting. You're confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
It's not the fault of the negative poster if a flame war is incited. Other posters should accept those opinions and move on... Or debate with them in disagreement. But it's their own fault if it turns into a flame war. Not all negative posts are productive, obviously. However, the OP sure picked a terrible quote to make a point with, if he wanted to get the point across.
It's probably the best example. Drama hasn't settled in yet around it and it still the same tale tale signs. If I gave an extreme example then one could just argue that it's just something the moderators weren't notified for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, you simply can't take posts in isolation and judge them by that. Sure, they may or may not be able to sustain their own topic, but that doesn't matter.
First off, threads are merely a collection of sub-topics related to the topic. The series threads in particular since they are essentially the central hub of discussing the anime in question. Secondly the posts in question are presented as "self-sustained" views, so YES they can (or SHOULD) be able to stand alone as a topic; otherwise they do not serve the purpose they are suggesting they serve; which raises the question what are they doing? other then stirring up the fanbase.

If they were replies to other people, then yes. But they aren't. They're just this sansationalist views that rival the news media. If they can justify their existance, they can justify their existance in another thread; and everyone would be better off (including the people posting them).

Quote:
And like I said before. If it doesn't justify being rediscussed per episode, then it's a cyclical topic that can be subject to moderation if the poster is deliberately doing it.
The problem: the motion never passes! You can report as many as you like, it just never seems to pass even when whole thread goes to hell.

Quote:
And I will ask you. What's the point of developing its own thread? Why does it deserve its own thread. So people with like minds can just agree with each other? Not much of a point there. Shall we separate every single episode thread into "Fluff" and "srs bzness" threads? Because that would be what it ends up.
No. Precisely so people who both might agree or disagree with the view can discuss it. Placing such views in the series thread is just asking for everyone to disagree with you. How is that a discussion? And it's not like they don't know this, since this is not exactly an isolated issue; and you all know it.

Quote:
And as I've already stated before. Negative only threads cannot work alone. There are already many of those, and they all are very low content.
If negative threads don't work, then negative topics don't work. That just means negative topics are useless, how does that justify having negative topics in otherwise mdoerate topics? Why we would want them in the normal topics. It's asking to derail it.
If a topic of religion is bad, then talking about the topic of religion in some other thread is also bad.

If a topic of moe is bad then talking about moe in another thread is bad.

If the topic of value of genres is bad then talking about it in another topic is also bad.
Esentially what you're implying is that somehow, injecting a flame topic in normal topic is okey? even though if it had a thread it would have to be closed imediatly. How exactly does that make any sense.

Quote:
It's where the praise clashes with the bashing where readers can view the input and make the decision for themselves that matters. It shouldn't be the place of anyone else to dictate what to think, or where to organize it.
I find praise only comes into play when people need to go into defense mode because of the unnecesary bashing in a show. So the problem only exists when you got the overly negative element in there. Take it out and nobody feels the need to explicity state it in a giant wall of text because everyone understands the same thing.

And about people forming their own views. I went to the thread in the example only to find the signs of war brewing. I don't feel informed at all, and I don't feel welcome, nor do I feel like I want to waste my time going to a thread to listen to people crying. Also, I don't see how people trying really really damn hard to insert into my head every possible way a show could be wrong and how I need to despise it is constructive and/or useful to the topic. The series topic I mean.

Quote:
Because then we'll be stuck with arbitrary distinctions with who's a moderate. And that simply is too restrictive with mods having to examine each and every post. Too complex... when existing tools can do the same thing.
I don't know why it's so hard: if you repeat yourself over and over on how you despise everything about a show your posts get moved/removed. Simple. Nobody gets posts delete, nobody gets banned, etc.

Those of us that want to actually discuss things or debate flaws and not re-iterrate or drive people into hating everything about a show then don't have to suffer the silly restrictions, locks and ban-warnings that inevitably happen. And also don't have to suffer the accusations by fellow fans of "being haters" and things like that because of other people trying to stir up shit.

It's so simple.

Quote:
I consider myself a pretty moderate poster. I'm sure not everyone thinks that. I'm not sure what the mods would think. I don't want to know, tbh.

I should be able to post my thoughts wherever I want as long as it is on topic, without fear that I'll be whisked away because the mods have decided I am too good and move me up to Masters Hater League thread while demoting someone who disagrees with me to Platinum Fan League thread. Hmm... Automated Matchmaking for forum debates sounds interesting. I just made too many negative posts, now I've been moved out of my division.

Overall, I can't see how this system will work. That would require either posters to self-mod themselves in the right spot, and let's be honest-- everyone THINKS they are reasonable and moderate. And so we have to leave it up to the mods, and break the thread's cohesion when posts are being moved around.

And exactly how does someone stirring a topic gain power? They can spam the thread? That's moddable? They keep trying to stir the discussion on the rail? Well, nothing an ignore list can handle.

Someone outspoken has as much power as you give them.
I'm not the one GIVING it. If I could fix it by simply something I do alone I wouldn't bother writing a petition. But like you I want to be able to at least post in a damn thread what I want to say with out fearing to get banned because some idiot made a complete mokery of the topic and disrepected all the fans in it and now you can't talk about anything with out the entire thread going into nuclear war.

You also seem to misunderstand something. I'm not suggesting an anology to the Spoiler Policy. YOU would not get banned from the topic! Only over the top rants would; and there would be no consequences, they would just be moved/removed (NO INFRACTIONS). So basically you post a rant. It gets moved to another topic or removed. You are free to try again and be more subtle. Fail and it gets removed again, and you can try again, etc. Nobody gets angry, the topic stays nice and friendly. Everyone is free to discuss everything with out the need of locks, or censoring certain topics or useless meta debaes. Win-Win.

How is this not in your favor. Tell me why this is bad? Why do you need to have the right to incide flame wars?? Why is that the only way to have a discussion or discuss those topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
With absolutely no offense or disrespect intended, to be honest it seems what the OP is essentially asking for is some kind of "underground storage chamber for self-flagellation" where people can go to deliberately stir the pot, "entrollificate", or be as rude and nasty as they want with each other. Or something similar to that....
No, I'm asking for discussion to take place in appropriate places. I don't understand where you all are comming from with this notion that "the discussion can only happen in the ONE place on the entire forum where it will piss people off and be heavily sided".

I'm personally not really moved by these shallow accusation and labels you are trying to throw at me as a person in hopes of bypassing what the petition is actually saying. I even expected some them; hence the options in the poll.

[edit]

@Triple_R

Well. I agree with your view, but the petition is mostly focusing on the physical problem, rather then the philosophical problem. Thread locks and things like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rules
As of Episode 08, any mention of the "childish" nature of the character designs will be treated as being off-topic and depending on the severity of the post warnings or infractions could be issued.
...should not have to happen. What the petition tries to do is stop threads going there not stop you from discussing. (See explanation to Archon_Wing above)

Last edited by felix; 2012-01-25 at 10:58.