View Single Post
Old 2012-02-10, 00:44   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I must say, I truly loved this episode.

First of all, I strongly support the time-skip approach being used here, as well as starting the episode off from Argo's perspective.

That was a great way to emphasize just how much the situation has changed since just two or three episodes ago, and also to show how much Shu has changed compared to win he last saw Argo.

I was worried that the execution of Shu's "tyrant turn" would be sloppy or overly character derailing, but I think that (so far) they've nailed it just about perfectly.

The key, for me, is that Shu has to remain sympathetic, but at the same time he needs to have a real edge to him. I think that Guilty Crown is hitting the right balance there so far.

He's a harsh tyrant, but with a softer side to him that he shows to a select few, and which reflects the guy he used to be.

I love how Shu and Yahiro have turned the remaining student body into a well-oiled military-like machine. It keeps things intense and suspenseful, while not allowing the school setting to soften the overall atmosphere too much.

Another thing I like is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Hahaha...Can't believe that there are random girls actually starting to idolize King Shu. Well, it is a nice start, Shu.
Powerful men tend to attract female admirers, especially amongst peers. Shu is a powerful man now. It's only natural that he would attract a lot of support, and even followers idolizing him like this. I think that having a bunch of cute girls fiercely loyal to him adds a lot to Shu's new image, reinforcing it.

On a separate note, this anime is really starting to remind me of the book Lord of the Flies.

Edit: If Gai is truly back alive, I'm going to point to my current avatar as extremely prophetic!