View Single Post
Old 2012-08-08, 18:03   Link #85
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post

Perhaps you can point to anything that would lead the viewer to believe that Mr Grumpy actually likes Chitanda as a person. Other than her sexual allure, he does not seem to have a good thought or word for her. Annoyance and disdain are the two words that most befit his attitude towards her as a person. Of course, this isn't much different than his attitude towards everyone else. Conversely, it can be said that what Chitanda admires most Mr Grumpy is his analytical abilities. So what is the only thing Mr Grumpy admires about her? Her boobs.
Quote:
I would be perfectly happy if his attitude toward Chitanda changed for the better, but ever since the incident in the cafe way back in episode 2 where he displayed what I consider to be unnecessarily rude behaviour toward her, I have had about the same amount of disdain for him as he constantly shows for her. It's now 14 episodes later, and his attitude towards Chitanda has not improved. If anything, he shows even more annoyance and disregard towards her as a person. He certainly does not treat her as a friend, and, especially, not as an equal. Like many members of this forum, it seems that he would be perfectly happy if she wasn't a member of the Classics Club (or didn't exist at all). Remember how annoyed he was to find her there at the beginning of episode 1? That attitude hasn't changed.
Quote:
I will ignore all the rest of your message for the sake of keeping this post on-topic, but I deny that I was flamebaiting with that quote, as I believe what I said, but am certainly willing to listen to logical arguments to the contrary. Prove to me that he actually likes her as a person. Does he treat Chitanda as a comrade? An equal? Or as a mere annoyance? Other than her boobs, what does he actually like about her? Does he like her curiosity? Does he like her whimsical nature? Does he like her friendliness? Does he think she's intelligent? Does he think she has had anything to offer regarding the "investigations"? Does he think it's okay to lie to her?
Do you have any proof that Oreki is only physically attracted to Chitanda?
I think there might be some hints that he is attracted to Chitanda besides just physically (and some of them are subtile)
The most obvious one that i have seen was at the end of episode 6: "Even if i can predict her actions sometimes, I couldn't hope to understand her heart"

As for attitude change , Chitanda did somewhat change Oreki's attitude from the moment that they first met. If you can recall from the first episode Oreki only longed for a "gray school life", however thanks to Chitanda's "hypno eyes" he has been involved in rather many things that made him stand out.
I don't expect Oreki changing his attitude even more drastically though. He still prefers not doing anything that makes him stand out regardless how many times he actually has stood out by now.

It might be just me, but i have seen attractive looking people in my life that i couldn't stand and i wouldn't hang out with them regardless how good looking they are to me.

Last edited by hyl; 2012-08-08 at 18:17. Reason: rephrasing