View Single Post
Old 2012-09-27, 12:04   Link #64
Hiking_Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
i think you missed my point. to nagato, konan and itachi he was being madara. those are the major players in akatsuki. people like deidara didnt really matter to tobi and were just pawns in akatsuki basically. he can impersonate madara with short hair. but if he already did it with long hair, why would he switch it up? doesn't make sense
It does make sense. Why must Tobi's hairstyle have any bearing on his ability to fool Itachi, Nagato or Konan? The point is that the character has no motive to either cut or grow out his hair. So why focus on it all? The real motive is the author's motivation. Looking at it from that perspective, the change in hairstyles makes perfect sense. To the reader, Tobi is just Tobi initially. Only later is he "Madara". When Tobi begins telling his flashback stories of Madara, he is shown with long hair. This is to sell us on the idea that Tobi is Madara. And apparently Kishi's trick worked on many. The changing hairstyles do have a reason. But it's the author's reason, not Obito's.

Quote:
right, he changed their styles to reflect a growth or change in character. therefore something must have happened to reflect a growth or change in obito for him to have cut his hair. that or it's a different person.
It was never logical to conclude that Tobi was two different people, especially since it was pointed out that Kisame recognized both long-haired and short-haired Tobi as the same person. So, let's conclude that Obito's change in appearance reflects growth or different periods in his life. Then, what exactly is the inconsistency on Kishi's part?

Quote:
nope. the changing of the mask is significant too. it just doesn't strike me as signifying a different person as much as hair does. when he changed to rinnegan mask he not only changed via gaining rinnegan but he changed intent in that he wasn't lurking in the shadows anymore. he took the offensive and started the war. thats a major change both physically and mentally and it was accompanied by a new mask.
The point is that a different mask does not imply that we have a totally different character. And without other supporting evidence to back it up, hair does not imply it either.