View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 15:02   Link #88
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Like mechalord, I see Makishima as being a little similar to the Joker from Batman - there is a greater point to his actions (think Dark Knight Batman), but his personal desires are also a factor. I think the 'fun' of an unstable world is a factor, and he also garners enjoyment from exposing the flaws in the 'perfect' system. I definitely don't see him as a twisted anti-hero. His worldview just happens to coincide in some ways with a revolutionary viewpoint in escaping the dystopia he was born into.
But you said you believe he's "just out to have fun", so basically you see the "greater point to his actions" as a mere coincidence? Because that's where I disagree and what I meant when I said such a view was doing a disservice to his character. The way I see it, the greater point to his actions is very much intentional and key to his character and I doubt he would even bother with them if all they amounted to in his eyes was temporary entertainment. And though said entertainment is definitely something he takes into consideration (after all he discards pawns who have become boring and claims to believe Kougami will be very entertaining), I would say that even his personal desires go beyond simply enjoying himself.

But of course that's up in air still, so perhaps more definitive discussion on this is better left for future episodes.