View Single Post
Old 2011-04-30, 12:59   Link #607
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Ok where do we start....

For your first point: Use your own logic to your suddendly working fan. For example, we could use statistics. How many people around the world die everyday. How many of those people have relatives which possess a non working appliance in their room. Statistically speaking, the odds you described aren't too bad. Yes, they are low, but there is a reason they are not zero.

For your second point: Occam's razor is nice and all, but trying to apply it to works of literature is kind of iffy at best, given that this is a created world. It doesn't have to follow any real world convention, really. True, we can expect the author not to try curveballs at us, but that's a completely different thing.
I would take that most infinitesimal possibility and say that there's something else going on. It's not only low; it flirts with zero. I'd say not too bad is an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Believing in the supernatural as the answer isn't an actual application of Ockam's Razor, since the existence of the supernatural would raise further questions. Just wanted to point that out.
From my interpretation of Occam's razor, it's the simplest explanation to fit the phenomena that the series presents because for me it merely assumes that there is an other world, but little else.

The incongruence with which Jinta's symptoms are with schizophrenia, and the fact that the 'hallucination' actually makes food disappear forces us to assume more than merely believing Menma's a ghost - and it will force us to assume to possibility of an other world as well, eventually.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote