View Single Post
Old 2009-07-10, 19:08   Link #62
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

A wonderful episode (to be expected from a great series).

I think this ep has set the tone that the themes of separation and loneliness are going to be much more prominent in this series. Already in this episode, we've had some very overt references to what might happen when Lawrence and Horo eventually part ways. In the first series this was only occasionally brought up as a "difficulty", approached with an attitude that it didn't have to be dealt with for a long time yet, but now it's much more imminent, and much more real, and the bond between Lawrence and Horo is much stronger and more intimate than it was back then when they were just traveling companions who were convenient to each other.

I think we got a real glimpse in this episode of just how much Horo needs Lawrence. She was surprised when Lawrence said "you're not even my type" (although the way she responded was classic) and we flashbacked to the scene in the first series where she said "loneliness is a sickness that leads to death". There's this great incompatibility between Horo and Lawrence in that they both have vastly different concepts of the passage of time. What makes them so... endearing, I guess... to watch is that they're both seem fairly committed to figuring out how to overcome that incompatibility somehow.