View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 11:49   Link #28563
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Oh come now.

You're trying to cast my examples as absurd - which of course they were intended to be - to make it look like the dialed-back example that actually happened is reasonable. That isn't how it works. The examples illustrate the semantic absurdity of defining something that doesn't follow normal rules. The problem is not merely in this definitional trickery, but also in equivocating them with the standard definition without trying to distinguish the two in any way.

You understand that personality death is itself the hint that permits everyone to not be dead, right? I don't actually need any evidence that Hideyoshi has a magic form or an alternate personality (although, it's worth noting, there are multiple characters who could be spun to have one); that death != death is the "hint."
Furniture are represented as separate characters who are properly introduced as such in the narrative. Saying someone could possibly have another personality isn't a license to invent Furniture X for your theory any more than saying "an extra person could have snuck onto the island" is a license to solve everything with Purupurupikoman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Nevermind that, and this is kind of an important thing, many of these so-called rule revelations do not come up in a format that - as far as we know - Battler was able to observe. I mean, a hell of a lot of information comes from places like the ep2 prologue flashback and Ange's review of Maria's diary in Alliance. Are we to just assume Battler saw these things (and he has to see all of them)? I have absolutely no way of knowing, as far as my recollection goes, whether he did or not. If he didn't, he doesn't have that information. So what if we did? Because it helps us figure out Shkanon? People had figured that shit out by ep2. It was a theory everyone was aware of, and was only doubted because he cheated to intentionally stir up the issue.
We don't have to assume anything. As I recall, Battler was told everything that happened in the fantasy narrative of EP2 by Beatrice at the end of the game, and he received an infodump of everything Ange did when she got hamburgered. So he has the exact same information as us.