View Single Post
Old 2012-04-23, 12:30   Link #28565
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

There's a big difference between what you "think" you know and what you actually know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Furniture are represented as separate characters who are properly introduced as such in the narrative. Saying someone could possibly have another personality isn't a license to invent Furniture X for your theory any more than saying "an extra person could have snuck onto the island" is a license to solve everything with Purupurupikoman.
Except the end result is exactly the same, and you're ignoring the people who actually could (including at least one person explicitly introduced as furniture alongside Shannon and Kanon).

That's the point. It doesn't work as pat as you seem to think it does. It may not be an apocalyptic scenario in this particular case, but it erodes any value that anything else has and basically causes the story to collapse upon its own silly example of the 19th person. In effect, the red creates exactly that scenario that you're trying to suggest I'm advocating (which I'm not, you really need to stop doing that). It's just somehow "different" to people because it's a magical (but not "magical") bodysnatching fairy that has as its internal mechanism whatever is most convenient for the author at a given time. It's actually less plausible than a witch or 19th person, and equally fanciful. Does that not bother you?

More than that, do you honestly believe that Ryukishi plotted out the exact manner in which all of that switching works in the narrative and forced himself to obey specific and comprehensible rules for who can do what and when? I tried to imagine such a ruleset after the fact, and what I came up with is still stupid and overly permissive to the point that I could get away with basically anything if I were him. I am all but certain that he just dreamed up the idea half-cocked, assumed he could do whatever he wanted as long as he could come up with some ways to twist red, and filled in (poorly) the blanks later with additional structure in Chiru to attempt to justify by recton.

No human being behaves like this. No fictional set of personalities works so conveniently. No author dreams this up as a first-and-best concept. There is no way this was his plan all along. It's patently indefensible, even for someone with your intellect.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote