View Single Post
Old 2009-03-24, 16:38   Link #1032
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye, *MANGA* is almost universally read.... but you shouldn't be seen reading the "wrong kind" (something not targeted to you).

Yes, its silly.... but despite otakudom, harajuku fashion and all the other eccentric stuff -- most of Japan prefers square pegs in square holes very strongly.
Haha, I see, and apologies for the misconception

Is there no "happy medium" like that which exists with the majority of anime fans outside Japan? Within Japan, it seems as if one is either an otaku or a run-of-the-mill square peg in a square hole. Are there even people in Japan like you and me: engineers and fathers or medical students with a normal, healthy appreciation of various anime genres? Or, ahem, junior doctors on call exhausted after an emergency operation and plumping down at 2am in the doctors' mess to watch the otaku-geared anime airing at that time, only to be called back to action by the annoying beep of their pager.

... Would these otherwise ordinary people be labelled "otaku" in Japan? ... "otaku" being a word I associate with obsessed and constantly fantasising beings out of touch with the realities of life (like the main character in Densha Otoko and his friends)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Maybe it has something to do with art style. Shoujo does have its own distinct style. Maybe story type isn't enough to market it that way.
That's rather funny, don't you think? Art style demarcating a barrier between a popular and accepted mainstay of Japanese society, and a genre restricted to a subculture scorned by the rest of society.

Last edited by Yukinokesshou; 2009-03-24 at 17:03.
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote