View Single Post
Old 2012-06-28, 02:48   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
But Vexx, it's catch 22.
We have seen many instances in human history, where a briliiant inventor could not get his idea funded or popularized, and the man dies in poverty... only to be appreciated way later.
Corporations may gain fortune off a man's idea, but without the large support of the corporation, there's little chance the man could have elevated his work to such high degree on his own. The concept is benefitial to both parties.

It's easy to say, a record company is "stealing profits" the cretor deserves.
A man write a song that can potentially be a world-wide hit. Is he on his own to get it off the ground then?
Print CDs on his own investment, and try to promote them to each and every retailers?
What if the man is simply an artist, and has no talent in business?
A distributor such as a record company is a necessary entity for his success.
It's all a matter of "how much". How much stake should be in the investment, and how much return each party should recieve.

The whole idea of utopian society where people work hard simply "for the better of humanity", as Gene Roddenberry dreamd, is unfortunately a broken idea.
Our primal motive is for self preservation and prosperity. That buddha-level enlightment is simply not realistic.
I don't deny the partnerships necessary to make ideas happen ... but I don't think you're arguing that the situation isn't currently diseased and unbalanced ... are you? I'm not arguing for the destruction of patent/copyright/trademark, I'm arguing that the system has become sick and needs a rebalancing.

OTOH, I'm entirely against the bogus hypothesis of "intellectual property". Its a term that never existed in law and is an attempt to conflate very different concepts in real property and the three bodies of law in patent/trademark/copyright.