View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 14:58   Link #52
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Perhaps I read more into Haruka's flashback sequence than I should have. It certainly seemed to me that Kanata was getting the cherished "Way to go, Champ!" treatment, while Haruka was being crudely cast down.

From my Canadian sensibilities, that makes me think of the classic "good daughter"/"bad daughter" conflict where one gets treated better than the other. But it sounds like something very different is at play here.
That's exactly why you need to factor the actual context and usual backstories of a given show. Applying your own culture will most likely fail when values and educations can be drastically different.

In general sense, "usual" classic asian family push their offspring for both the family members satisfaction and the child's own future. However, those who show no interest to anything but the glory of the family are numerous, even to this day (it sure exist with western family, but this is a cultural element that are much more numerous with eastern cultures, not only asian).
You would be surprised to find out the number of stories, real and fictions, portraying women as literal borrowed wombs, for such objective. Likewise, children are seen as stock to strengthen the bloodline, nothing more.

But back to LB, that point is self evident when they initially wanted to know who is whose daughter, even before trying to educate them. And when they couldn't have what they wanted, they basically used an arbitrary fallacy: Shou = Murderer => shame for the Saigusa => his daughter would be the same kind of people => by default, she should be inferior to the other guy's kid! Ergo, the first one being superior in scholarship would be "obviously" the legitimate child!

Even if education is the predominant factor of an individual growth and personality, they just used that archaic train of thought, so there you have it.