View Single Post
Old 2012-11-10, 08:59   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I'm also worried about the narrative at this point. I wanted to give it a few more episodes, but there are some serious gaps in time that make some scenes play out strangely. A good example is the canoe scene. They were so worried about him killing them, and then it just jumps to the next scene and everything is fine. In a show about characters, this just seems like a really strange thing - shouldn't we at least get an explanation as to why he didn't follow through? Or is this one of those "implied" things you see often in Japanese stories where the audience is supposed to just "get" what is going on due to something impressed upon earlier? For example, maybe he spared them because they saved his life? Dunno though, because no one mentions it. Not even Squealer, who seems to be acting like he's not telling the kids something when they reunite at the shoreline of the river.
Yes, that was a very strange transition. One second they think they're going to get killed and the next, they're happily thanking Kiroumaru. There's obviously something missing, and they didn't even attempt to provide an explanation. We're just supposed to assume Kiroumaru chased them because he's a good guy who wanted to help. It's implied he went against his orders, but it's not exactly clear. I think everything might be explained later. At least, I hope so.

It was a good episode nonetheless, but I too am glad we are back to the village. The atmosphere there has always been far more riveting and oppressing. The ending narration alone made me feel like we're finally back to the mood of the first four episodes. Very foreboding...

I didn't expect the timeskip to happen so soon. Shun looks like a total bishie now. I can't blame Satoru for wanting to bonobo it up with him. I can't wait to see how the recent incident changed their lives.