View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 19:12   Link #10
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
So currently, I am attending a very interesting class that teaches critical thinking by using Japanese pop culture as a medium. While going through the content, I've been realizing that many of us just take modern anime, music, games and other Japanese mediums as it is; it's more focused on thoughts of plot complexity, characters and the tropes that have become our modern day culture.

What I wanted to do is create this thread to see if anyone out there is still interested in this "critical thinking" aspect of overviewing Japan.
I've been doing this since Day One of returning to anime in the mid-2000s.

There is plenty else to explore besides the subject of gender. In my case, I've always been interested in what anime reveals about the philosophical and sociological outlook of the Japanese, especially given the extent to which it resonates with my own Asian mindset. Shows in this genre include Haibane Renmei, Mushishi and Aoi Bunkaku (Blue Literature).

And while you're on the topic of gender, you may as well explore how gender roles were practically reversed in Seirei no Moribito, where a woman was the fierce warrior, a man was the nurturing healer and a boy was pregnant with a holy spirit.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote