Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-21, 18:49   Link #2749
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
The problem with using theEND as a head fake is that by introducing it at all, the series raises the question "where did it come from"? It looks to be the same as the version at the end of E7. Unfortunately that one was destroyed. So does this mean that what we saw occur in E7 was changed somehow? That the 50 episodes I watched of the series never happened? That's a pretty big FU to the audience just to "keep you guessing" and serves mostly to show a lack of appreciation and fidelity to the E7 universe on the part of those involved with AO. Not surprising then that AO then goes on to destroy the themes so central to the original.
I get your point about theEND being there at all. Honestly the first time I watched I went "wait what" since the whole time travelling thing was implied to have started after the events in the original. So I decided to watch the episode again (to be honest it was because 23 and 24 were taking so long) and after that I looked at it and realised there was something off.

In the original, by the time theEND "awoke completely" it was already different. Didn't have those point things on shoulders, claws were out and so on. Sure those could be replaced if you knew what the original looked like which they couldn't (not sure about the shoulder parts in the first place though since they didn't look damaged when it evolved).
So it looked like the regular theEND (the black one) but with the colours of the "evolved" one.

It can be viewed as tribute to the original for people who paid attention to details but it doesn't really fit well with everything.
I personally decided that it's not the theEND and dismissed it completely but now that you bring it up I guess some people would be bugged by it a lot because it doesn't fit in at all.

It's also clear that the original series did happen or at least some of it. But hey, the Nirvash showed up, there was the Mark II and the one Renton was piloting for a total of 3, 2 of which had archtypes. So even from early on there was something weird about this whole thing. The world was way more destroyed than it should have been so you might as well think of it as sequel but not exactly to the original but to something set in a parallel universe.

Oh and it doesn't seem to be the case for most of you but I though the time travel thing was closed off pretty well considering how weird it was at one point.

And different writers would explain why it started to go in one direction and then turned to another, keeping the first but not focusing on it nearly as much as in previous episodes. Just keeping it alive.

To sum up it felt like it tried to do too much by going in different directions that due to the limited number of episodes didn't have time to develop and thus were cut down to very basic things. Could have been so much more and way better.
Still enjoyed it.
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote