View Single Post
Old 2008-05-19, 00:15   Link #184
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I would say there weren't other songs though. We know for a fact Ranka saw them departing. The probable time between her seeing them leave and her finding her seat is the time it took for the fleet to cross 12 light years minus whatever amount of time would have been necessary for them to prepare for the battle.

And she was right outside the music hall when she saw them depart. Even as clumsy as she tends to be, Ranka wouldn't have spent more than ten minutes finding her seat, especially since she'd already been there at least once before.
Perhaps. But the only things that we know for sure are happening at the same time are that the rescue fleet left as Sheryl started the concert, and that Sheryl's last number conicided with Alto's Valkyrie going boom. All the other events in between may or may not have happened concurrently. Besides, I prefer using a conservative figure since it gives a good lower limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
This is really pretty consistent with what we've seen before - from what episode 6 showed in the intro, the fold drive seems to work like the FTL drive proposed in Event Horizon - it essentially "pinches" two bits of space-time together, and shoots the object in question through the "hole". It obviously isn't quite instantaneous, but it would be damn fast - remember that in original Macross once it actually folded the SDF-1 traveled from Earth to Pluto in under a second. There are going to be some mind-bogglingly high multipliers of c in realspace involved with folding.
There's also a question of perceived time vs. real time. The Pluto trip was short enough that I don't think it provides enough information about the speed of fold-travel. Macross Frontier provided the first example that I can recall of both the distance and a rough travel time.

Quote:
Earth/Pluto in isn't really that impressive since it only takes a few hours at c. to get there. That's less or more than two hundred times depending upon how much less than a second is. At what point do you think it is polite to out right say what fraction of a second you're dealing with?
The exact length of time was never specified.

Quote:
No, the fact Sheryl's song was actually heard through the earring walks all over that idea. Everything implies a real time correlation, until it's said otherwise.
Precisely. In order for the scene to work, both events had to be concurrent.