View Single Post
Old 2013-02-04, 05:39   Link #100
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I was gonna make a thread on "your job/occupation" but found this thread. Although it's quite old, why not bump it up and fill it with current individuals x)

My first occupation is that I am a college student. I just recently got accepted into the nursing program down here in southern California. Waited 2 years; however, time flew and next thing I knew, I got the acceptance letter. I already went through orientation, bought most of my equipment and books and met my future 2-year classmates (60 of them O_O). I officially start the 25th of this month. As of now, I'm just reading my fundamentals book as well as working on dosage calculation and math problems for pharmacology.

I have two jobs currently. I work at my current community college as an instructional aid for adult students with disabilities. What it boils down to is that I tutor students with all kinds of disabilities in basic level classes such as English and Math, all the way up to college level courses such as college algebra or statistics or psychology, etc. In addition to tutoring, we have an ABI, or Acquired Brain Injury program where brain injured patients come here to work on memory and cognitive strategies. My primary job is to tutor, but when I am free, I sit down with several of these ABI clients and work with them on strategy-type programs for the brain. I've been working there for over a year now, but this winter intercession is my last session working there due to the fact that I need all the time I can get for the nursing program. Currently, I only work 10 hours during the weekdays since intercession is a bit short (normally during spring and fall semesters I work 19). I will definitely miss this job and as I have loved working with the speech therapists and fellow tutors. I will miss some of the students I tutored, others I will not haha.

For my second job, I work at a nearby private hospital as a Lift Team Technician (aka mobility technician). I work with a partner and we go ALL throughout the hospital helping assist nurses and CNAs reposition their patients with a a major focus on working with ICU and CCU. My department that we are under is physical therapy so in addition to repositioning, we do chair-bed and bed-bed transfers as well as assisting patients in standing up/sitting down. We don't walk them around as that's the PT's job but we help them get up and down. I currently work 16 hours, two 8-hr graveyard shifts on the weekend. We are soon changing to 12 hour shifts to better work one-on-one with the night nurses. Once we officially switch to 12-hour shifts, I will be working just one day a week (hopefully haha) instead of two. I love working with the night nurses and there is always something new every shift. This job provides me the perfect hospital experience for my nursing career and I most likely will be working at this hospital when I graduate.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote